I just received an email from a military family member who is stationed overseas with an update on sending coupons to military families overseas and wanted to share it with all of you right away.
The families can always use coupons, but this time of year with the holidays coming up they are really needed and appreciated. So get the word out by talking to your friends, family, co-workers and church members about getting involved and show our support our troops and their families overseas. This would make a great project for school children to get involved in.
Here are the guidelines that Vicky shared with me:
- Must say Manufacturer Coupon - Please no store brand coupons (Target, Walgreens, or brands that are specific to stores)
- Must be able to see Expiration Date - If the coupon expires March 1st, we can use it until Sept 1st. Please try not to hold on to coupons too long. Some groups hold onto them until they have a full box, but then a lot of the coupons at the bottom are already past the 6 months and can not be used.
- Must have entire bar code and must be able to be read bar code.
- Sorting and cutting are NOT required, but do help - We do have some volunteers that help sort coupons, but if you would like to help, we sort them by month. We do this for two reasons. One is that it makes "cleaning house" each month easier and each family can grab a bag of coupons and get a variety of items.
- If you work with a group and have a lot of coupons, I would encourage you to check and see if a flat rate envelope or box would be in your best interest.
- On average a box or large envelope will take about 7-10 days to get here. Letter and Business envelopes take about 3-4 days. During peak mailing times (such as Christmas) or a natural disaster (Icelandic volcano) times can increase.
- If you would like an email confirmation that we received the coupons, please put a small note with your name and email address in the box/envelope. When I pick up the coupons at the Post Office, I take some of the boxes/envelopes to our AFRC for other volunteers.
- Please DO NOT use staples or post it notes directly on coupons. Some post its have a very strong glue and will rip the coupon when trying to remove it.
In appreciation for Vicky's help with getting this much needed information out and for all that she does for her fellow military families I want to offer her my heartfelt thanks for a job well done. Hooah!
Vicky would also like all of you to know that even a small envelope with a few left over coupons from the inserts out of the Sunday newspaper can be a great help.
With her permission I am listing her APO address where you can contact her and send your manufacturer's coupons.
PSC 37 Box 3867APO AE 09459
I want to thank each of my readers for your support of our troops and their families.
That's all for now folks.
United States Army - Retired